What It Takes To Be Ally-Ready
To be a Diversity Ally begins with good intentions. Then the good intentions must be leavened with some work and some time. Only then is an individual ready to act in accordance with their good intentions — to actually be the ally they want to be.
To be certified by the PLDIC as Ally-Ready, you must:
- Attend the a certain number of programs in the Towards A Culture of Inclusion series:
- Two of three training programs, including one of the two Bias Interruption programs presented in November by Will Cox of the University of Wisconsin;
- Two of the three Conversations on Race; and
- One of the “lightning sessions” (programs on very discrete topics lasting no more than 30 minutes)
- Participate in small groups of similarly well-intentioned people who will meet at least six times over the ten-month period of the series to exchange ideas and grapple with issues together. Groups will be provided with resources and support to the extent and in the manner they want it. Those seeking certification must participate in at least four such meetings.
- Plan and help present in June 2021 the final program in Toward a Culture of Inclusion. This program will be developed in the small groups and address —very broadly speaking; the contents to be determined by those seeking Ally-Ready certification — changes our firms and law departments can consider that will make our workplaces more inclusive for everyone.
Those seeking to be certified Ally-Ready will also be provided with opportunities for experiences outside the confines of the program and the legal community, which they may choose to supplement their participation. An example of this type of opportunity is the lecture in September by Robin DiAngelo, author of White Fragility; Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Race. Allies-in-training must participate in one such program.
If you know you would like to work towards being certified Ally-Ready, please let us know so that we can assign you to a small group that will work together throughout the series. Sign up below. The deadline to sign up for this training is September 30.